I had an issue with a sound board that was working OK and then suddenly became very distorted – sounded like it was being played underwater, and most of the louder sounds were completely blown out.
I replaced a heap of capacitors without any luck. In the end, i replaced 5 more capacitors – i am unsure which one (or ones) made the difference as i changed them all before testing again. The ones i changed were:
C34 and C37 (one was a 47uF, the other 1uF – i don’t recall which was which)
C26,C27,C28,C29 (all 1uF)
Many of these were tantalum capacitors, but i replaced them with more readily available electrolytics. Anyway, the sound is back to completely normal now. If i come across this issue again, i will try and narrow it down to the exact capacitor!